Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
City of North Canton Civil Service Commission
145 N. Main Street, North Canton, OH 44720
330.499.8223 (Phone) 330.305.0603 (Fax)
NORTH CANTON POLICE DEPARTMENT
POLICE OFFICER EXAMINATION NOTICE
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 2020
The North Canton Civil Service Commission will conduct an open examination for the purpose of establishing an eligible list for the position of Police Officer in the North Canton Police Department on Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 6:00 PM in the Barrette Business and Community Center at Walsh University, 2020 East Maple Street, North Canton OH 44720.
The starting salary for the position of Patrolman 1st Year is $25.55 per hour and, as a full time employee, a Police Officer is eligible to receive the following benefits: life insurance, major medical and hospitalization insurance, prescription drug insurance, dental insurance, optical insurance, uniform allowance, eleven paid holidays, two personal days allowance if hired prior to July 1, 2020, and one personal day if hired after July 1, 2020, sick leave benefits, paid vacation allowance, and shift differential allowance.
The general application requirements are as follows:
1. Citizen of the United States.
2. Of good moral character and excellent physical and mental condition.
3. Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age on or before the date of the examination.
4. High school graduate or GED.
5. Valid continental of the US driver’s license.
6. Ohio Peace Officer Training Council – proof of completion with no break in Peace Officer service of one (1) year or more from most recent date of certification.
A $20.00 examination fee shall be paid at the time of the registration in order to be eligible to take the examination.
Registration: All applicants wishing to take the examination for Police Officer must register in person at the Civil Service Commission Office, North Canton City Hall, 145 North Main Street, North Canton, OH in order to be eligible to take the examination. Registration opens Wednesday, January 8, 2020 thru Wednesday, January 29, 2020 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM. Registrations will not be accepted after the January 29, 2020 deadline.
The following documents must be produced at time of registration:
1. Copy of birth certificate.
2. Copy of high school diploma or GED.
3. Copy of valid continental US driver’s license.
4. Copy of valid Ohio Peace Officer Training Council Certificate or letter of completion.
In order to be eligible for extra credit percentage points to your passing grade, the following must also be provided at time of registration:
1. Proof of US Military Service: Proof of active duty (DD214); National Guard who have served a minimum of one (1) year of continuous active full-time duty or one (1) year in a designated combat zone for which Imminent Danger Pay (combat pay) was authorized and upon proof of said service shall be awarded an additional credit of five (5%) percent for each year served in the Armed Forces of the United States when the applicant has received a passing grade in any regular entrance examination.
2. Accredited College Credit: OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT (no photocopies will be accepted) must be obtained from accredited college and sent directly to the attention of the Civil Service Secretary, North Canton City Hall, 145 North Main Street, North Canton, OH 44720 prior to the registration deadline. * (No photocopies, emails, pictures or unofficial transcripts will be accepted.) An additional five (5%) percent of passing grade will be awarded for each completed year of college attendance, maximum twenty (20%) percent. * It is the applicant’s responsibility to contact registrar’s office of accredited college in a timely manner.
Not more than a total of twenty (20%) percent of the passing grade shall be allowed in extra credit percentage points for 1 and 2 above.
3. An additional forty (40%) percent of passing grade shall be granted to auxiliary or special Police Officers and Radio Dispatchers in the North Canton Police Department who have one year of continuous service with the North Canton Police Department, are currently employed by the Police Department, have OPOTC certification, are otherwise eligible and have received a passing grade.
Not more than a total of forty (40%) percent of the passing grade shall be allowed in extra credit percentage points for auxiliary or special officers and radio dispatchers in the North Canton Police Department for 1, 2, and 3 above.
This is a general knowledge examination. The passing grade for the Police Officer’s examination is seventy (70%) percent.
The administration does reserve the right to include psychological testing, polygraph, drug testing and medical exam as part of the hiring process for filling any vacancies.