Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
City of North Canton Civil Service Commission
145 N. Main Street, North Canton, OH 44720
330.499.8223 (Phone) 330.305.0603 (Fax)
RADIO DISPATCHER EXAMINATION NOTICE
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 2020
The North Canton Civil Service Commission will conduct an open examination for the position of Radio Dispatcher for the North Canton Police Department on Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 6:00 PM at the Barrette Business and Community Center at Walsh University, 2020 East Maple Street, North Canton, OH 44720.
General application requirements are:
a. At least 18 years of age on or prior to date of examination.
b. Citizen of United States.
c. Ability to type a minimum of 40 words per minute.
d. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to speak and hear clearly and concisely over the radio and telephone. Prioritization skills and be multi-task oriented. Keyboard skills. Must undergo and pass a background investigation.
Applicants who wish to take the examination for Radio Dispatcher must file an application and register in person at the Civil Service Commission Office, North Canton City Hall, 145 North Main Street, North Canton, OH. Registration opens Wednesday, January 8, 2020 thru Wednesday, January 29, 2020 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM. Registrations will not be accepted after the January 29, 2020 deadline. The following documents must be produced at time of registration:
1. Copy of birth certificate.
2. Copy of high school diploma (or equivalency certificate).
3. Valid Continental US driver’s license.
A $20.00 registration fee shall be paid at the time of registration.
This is a general knowledge examination. The passing grade of this examination is seventy (70%) percent.
The administration does reserve the right to include psychological, physical, and polygraph testing as part of the process for filling the position of Radio Dispatcher.
The starting salary for the position of Radio Dispatcher is $18.39 per hour, and as a full time employee, a Radio Dispatcher is eligible to receive the following benefits: life insurance, major medical and hospitalization insurance, prescription drug, dental and optical insurance, uniform allowance, eleven (11) paid holidays, two (2) personal days allowance if hired prior to July 1, 2020, one (1) personal days allowance if hired after July 1, 2020, and zero (0) personal days allowance if hired after September 1, 2020, sick leave benefits, paid vacation allowance, and shift differential allowance.
In order to be eligible for extra credit percentage points to your passing grade, the following must also be provided prior to the test:
1. U.S. Military Service: Proof of active duty (DD214); National Guard who have served a minimum of one (1) year of continuous active duty or one (1) year in a designated combat zone for which Imminent Danger Pay (combat pay) was authorized and upon proof of said service.
2. Accredited College Credit: A sealed OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT must be obtained from accredited college and sent directly to the attention of the Civil Service Secretary, North Canton City Hall, 145 North Main Street, North Canton, OH 44720 prior to the registration deadline. * (No photocopies, emails, pictures or unofficial transcripts will be accepted.) An additional five (5%) percent of passing grade will be awarded for each completed year of college attendance, maximum twenty (20%) percent. * It is the applicant’s responsibility to contact registrar’s office of accredited college in a timely manner.
3. Ohio Peace Officer Training Council (OPOTC): Proof of completion with no break in peace officer service of one (1) year or more from most recent date of certification.
Not more than a total of twenty (20%) percent of the passing grade shall be allowed in extra credit percentage points for 1, 2 and 3 above.
4. An additional twenty (20%) of the passing grade shall be granted to an applicant who has been employed for one (1) year or more of continuous service in the North Canton Police Department, as a part-time Radio Dispatcher and who is so employed at the time of registration for any regular entrance examination and, being otherwise eligible, has received a passing grade.
Not more than a total of forty (40%) percent of the passing grade shall be allowed in extra credit percentage points for a part-time Radio Dispatcher in the North Canton Police Department for 1, 2, 3 and 4 above.