Frequently Asked Questions

Bitzer Park What is the North Canton Community Improvement Corporation (CIC)?

For detailed questions and answers on the North Canton Community Improvement Corporation click here.

Is my address on the curb sufficient for emergency response personnel?

No. Your address should be on your house by the front door and should be visible from the street. The address that is on your curb is not visible when there is snow on the ground. You can order an address reflective sign from the City for $14 by calling 330499-1528.

How do I dispose of my Christmas Tree?

The City of North Canton offers free Christmas Tree pickup service to all residents of the City of North Canton who are on the City refuse pickup program. All Christmas Trees should be at the curb by 6:00 am on your regular trash pickup day. Cut the tops off the trees if they are over six (6) foot.

What about the Natural Gas Aggregation program?

Residents currently in the city’s natural gas program starting December 2014 will pay a low fixed rate of $4.19 per Mcf for all gas billed during the months of December 2014 through November 2016. This is an “opt out” program requiring residents not already enrolled with another supplier to call and ask to “opt out”. Constellation Energy can be reached at 1-800-718-1493 to opt out of this program, or opt into the program if not already in or for other information about the program. A resident may opt out free of charge from the program once during a 2 year period. Residents are encouraged to visit the PUCO Apples to Apples web site to compare prices.

Does the City of North Canton have a recycling program?

The City has a general curbside recycling program, as well as a seasonal curbside yard waste recycling program.

Where do I call if my trash pickup is missed?

You can call the utilities billing office at 330-499-4801, their office hours are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, with voice mail available after business hours. The billing office will take your address and call the trash hauler to let them know you were missed. In most instances your trash will be picked up on the next pickup day.

When is a building permit required?

A building permit is required for most work involving new buildings, additions, alterations, decks, siding, roofs, fences, and driveways. Should you have any question, please call the Building Department at 330-499-5557.

Why is a building permit required?

A building permit serves to notify the Building Department that work requiring inspections is being conducted. Certified Inspectors can then perform code inspections at various stages of work to verify that work being done is in code compliance.

Are contractors required to be licensed?

Currently electrical, plumbing, H.V.A.C., and concrete contractors are required to maintain a license in order to perform work in the City of North Canton. Before hiring anyone to perform electrical, plumbing, H.V.A.C., or concrete work, be sure they are currently licensed to do work in the City of North Canton.

Who is my ward councilman / how can I contact him/her

The ward councilman are listed below

Ward 1 (northwest) – Doug Foltz 330.497.2838

Ward 2 (northeast) – Daniel Peters 330.806.0695

Ward 3 (southeast) – Stephanie Werren 330.494.9679

Ward 4 (southwest) – Dominic Fonte

At Large – represent the entire City

Mark Cerreta – 330.499.5401

Dan Griffith – 330.433.0168

Marcia Kiesling – 330.497.2331

Could also contact via individual emails or by using the contact us form.

When is the next council meeting / is it open to the public

Council generaly meets on the second and fourth Monday of each month with the exception of the months of July and August when Council meets on the second Monday in July and the fourth Monday in August.

Council meets as a Committee of the Whole on the first and third Monday of each month with the exception of the months of July and August when Council will meet the first Monday in July and the third Monday in August.

If the regular meeting date falls on a holiday recognized by the City, the meeting date shall be changed to a date previously established at a regular Council meeting.

If there are five Mondays in a month, Council does not meet the fifth Monday.

At which meetings can I address Council?

Visitors are recognized and may address Council on the second and fourth Monday of the month.

Are the ordinances online and how can I find them?

On this site’s homepage a link to city ordinances can be found under the “About Our City” tab or the “City Council” tab.

What are the positions commissioned through the Civil Service and when is the next test?

Full time Dispatcher, EMS, Fire and Police are the only positions commissioned (hired) through the Civil Service; test schedules, once established, could be posted online.

How did I rank on the Civil Service test?

ID Numbers are sent to each test taker and the lists are posted at City Hall after every test.

What does the hiring process entail for Civil Service?

The Civil Service Office establishes the eligibility list and takes sign-ups for all testing. You can complete an application and Civil Service will notify you of an upcoming test. Remember to keep your contact information current when its on file with their office. Civic Service Office is located at City Hall.

Drinking Water PlantIs the water safe?

Yes, the water quality is checked every 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Why does my water have rust in it?

There could be a main water break, hydrant open, flushing program or fire emergency in your area. Let the Drinking Water Plant know if the problem persists .

What’s the water hardness?

It is 148 mg /L or 8.66 grains per gallon.

How much fluoride is in our water?

1 mg /L per the EPA

Is it bad for me and my children?

No, the EPA requires a once a day check but our Plant checks it twice a day.

North Canton Fire/EMS DepartmentWhat are the Recreation Fire requirements?

See our Fire Requirements here

Where do I call for Fire Station tours scheduling?


Who do I call for CPR questions?


What Events going on in the City – Main street festival – fireworks – etc. (information)

Check the Residents and Visitors sections on this web site along with the Calendar of Events for information.

I need Car Seat Information?

Car-seat installation is offered at the North Canton Fire Department by a state trained car-seat technician. This also includes hands on training with your car seat for your vehicle. An appointment is required so call 330-499-3404.

City HallHow much is my ticket?

Tickets for a single traffic violation are $138. If you have a question you can call the Clerk of Courts at 330-499-8223.

Can I pay my utility bill online?

You can pay Utility, Tax and Traffic Tickets online. Visit the Main Page of this web site for the links to what you item you wish to pay.

Is there an aggregation for residents, i.e.: electric/gas

The electric aggregation program will start this year in 2016. Residents will be receiving notification letters in May regarding the 3-year fixed price of 5.38 cents per kilowatt hour. For questions call FirstEnergy at 866-636-3749.  There is a gas aggregation program. See the FAQ listed above in the General FAQ section for more information.

Who do I call if it is after business hours and I don’t have emergency?

If it is NOT an emergency, leave a voice mail with the department you have called or call the Mayor’s Office at 330-499-8223 to leave a message and it will get directed to the proper person the next business day. You may also send an e-mail by using the Contact Page on this web site.

If it IS an emergency call 911. If it is not an emergency but an urgent issue, you may call the non-emergency police dispatch number (330-499-5911) at any time or day. The North Canton Police Dispatch Center is operated 24 hours / 7 Days a week.

I want to report a light out…

You can call AEP directly and they will make a repair note. You can call the Mayor’s Office at 330-499-8223 or send an e-mail. It is best if you can describe the location well or have a pole number when reporting the problem.

Price Park EventWhat are the hours of the North Canton Park System?

Winter hours (September – April) are 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. Summer hours (May – August) are 8:00 am – 10:00 pm.

How is mosquito fogging scheduled?

When we fog for mosquitoes it takes four days, Monday through Thursday, 1/4 of the City each night. We generally schedule fogging once a month during the summer months. Depending on weather and frequent heavy mosquito calls, this time frame can vary.

Price Park PavilionWhere do I pay for Dogwood Park and Civic Center Rentals?

Call the City Service Center at 330-499-1528 to schedule your rental or check on rental information first. After your rental date is confirmed you may pay in person and sign the agreement at the Mayor’s Office at City Hall, 145 N. Main St. If sending payment in, mail check to North Canton City Hall, Attn: Rental, 145 N. Main St., North Canton, OH 44720.

Can the outside pavilions in the parks be rented?

Yes, at Price Park, Witwer Park and Eastwoods Park. Rental fee is $40 + a $40 damage deposit (money will be returned) if no damage. All other parks are on a first come, first serve basis. Call 330-499-1528 to check availability and schedule a rental.

Can the Gazebo at the Civic Center be used for wedding ceremonies, without renting the banquet hall?

No, people renting the hall have the use of the Gazebo. Reservations can be made through the rental office (330-499-1528) for use of the Gazebo at Price Park. (There is no charge for the use of the Price Park Gazebo).

Can the City’s ball fields be rented?

Yes, however, the City and school leagues take priority. Call the Rental Office at 330-499-1528 for more information.

Street DepartmentWhose responsibility is my drive approach?

Driveway approaches are the homeowner’s responsibility.

Do residents have to maintain the right of way that may fall into their lawn areas?

Yes, the area designated as city right of way requires the homeowner to maintain and mow.

Do residents have to clean and maintain the sidewalks in front of their property?

Yes, sidewalks are not city property and are required by city ordinance to be maintained.

Is it permissible to shovel the snow from my drive or parking area into the street?

Plowed snow off street cannot be placed back out in the street. Doing so is a violation of city ordinance.

Whose responsibility is it to maintain downspouts and catch basins on private property?

Downspouts and c/b on private property need to be maintained by homeowner.

Who is responsible for repairing a sewer lateral from my home?

Sewer laterals are homeowner’s responsibility from the house to city line in street even if our line is across road. If you have questions concerning this please call the City Service Center at 330-499-1528.