Permits & Fees
Department of Permits & Development
Gary Fry – Director
Don Walker – Electrical, Building, Mechanical Inspector
8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday-Friday
845 West Maple Street
(Civic Center Building)
North Canton, Ohio 44720
145 North Main Street
North Canton, Ohio 44720
Phone Number: (330) 499-5557
Fax Number: (330) 966-3630
The Permits & Development Department is a combination of several divisions, including but not limited to:
- Building – commercial and residential
- Contractors/Journeymen Registration
- Water Connections – Sewer
- Economic Development
The North Canton Permits and Development office is responsible for plan review, permit issuance, and code inspections for commercial and residential construction and renovation. In addition we conduct zoning, housing, and nuisance inspections and issue Zoning Certificates and Occupancy Certificates. We test and register contractors and journeymen, issue water connection permits, raze building permits and sewer permits.
It is our hope the information contained on this site will be of assistance to our residents and contractors. However, due to the complex nature of some of these processes, we urge you to call or stop in prior to beginning any construction project, so we may provide guidance and information.
Codified Ordinances (Zoning Ordinances)
Burn Permit Process
- Pay $10 fee for Burn Permit online, via mail or in person to the North Canton Permits & Development Dept.
- The Fire Department will call to schedule an inspection of the premises.
- Upon approval of the inspection, a pink Burn Permit will be issued immediately.
Inspections are typically Fridays & Saturdays. Alternate arrangements can be made through the Fire Department by calling (330) 499-3404.
For information on recreational burn permits please see the FIRE/EMS page and click on the left hand side link Recreational Fire Permit Information.
- Pay $150 fee for Contractor Registration Renewal online, via mail or in person to the North Canton Permits & Development Dept.
- Your receipt of payment is evidence of renewal subject to all appropriate paperwork being on file with the Permits & Development office.
All Contractor Permits are annual based on the calendar year. See below to download a Contractor Registration Packet with Application.
All Contractors/Journeymen/Apprentice MUST be Registered with City of North Canton to work in City of North Canton
In order to perform work and become registered in the City of North Canton, the following Contractors must be licensed by the State of Ohio:
Fire and Smoke Alarms
The following contractors must register annually with the Permits & Development Department in order to perform work inside the City of North Canton:
Alarms, fire, smoke & security
Underground Fire Service Line Installer
General Contractor – Commercial, Residential, Remodeling
Roofing – Commercial & Residential
Gas Line Installer
Other Contractors as required by CBO