Proclamations are ceremonial documents signed by the Mayor and issued for:
• Public awareness
• Charitable fundraising campaigns or non-profit causes
• Arts and cultural celebrations
• Special honors, remembrances (on the recommendation of the Mayor)
• Special or major celebrations
• Proclamations must affect a broad group of people. We will not issue proclamations for individuals. For individuals, depending on the occasion or event, either a Certificate of Recognition or Congratulatory Letter will be provided.
Proclamations will not be issued for:
• Matters of political controversy, ideological or religious beliefs, or individual conviction
• Events or organizations with no direct relationship to the City of North Canton, Ohio
• Campaigns or events contrary to City policies
• The Mayor’s Office reserves the right to modify or deny any proclamation request.
• An organization may request only one proclamation annually.
• More than one cause can be proclaimed simultaneously.
• An organization does not have exclusive rights to the day, week, or month of their proclamation.
• A Certificate of Recognition or Congratulatory Letter is an alternative where proclamation criteria are not met.
How should a proclamation request be made?
• All requests must be made in writing. Requests may be mailed, faxed, hand-delivered, or emailed. If mailed or faxed, please call to verify receipt by our office.
• Requests should be made at least 10 business days in advance of the date the document is needed. The exception to this rule is condolence requests- these should be made as soon as possible after a person’s passing.
What must the request include?
• Contact person's first and last name, address, and telephone number.
• A summary and/or background of the event or organization.
• The name and date(s) of the day, week, month, or event to be proclaimed.
• Draft text for the proclamation, including 4-6 “whereas” clauses.
• An indication of whether the proclamation should be mailed or will be picked up.
• The date when the proclamation is needed.
Any questions may be sent to the office of City Administration, directed to Administrative Assistant Traci Kohl at firstname.lastname@example.org - 330.499.8223 ext. 1006 or to Mayor Stephan B. Wilder, email@example.com. Mailings should be directed to 145 N. Main St. North Canton, Ohio 44720 and faxes may be sent to 330.305.0603.