Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
City of North Canton Civil Service Commission
145 N. Main Street, North Canton OH 44720
330.499.8223 (Phone) 330.305.0603 (Fax)
FIRE/EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES DEPARTMENT
EMT-P/FIREFIGHTER EXAMINATION NOTICE
The North Canton Civil Service Commission will conduct an open examination for the purpose of establishing an eligible list for the position of Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic/Firefighter for the Fire/Emergency Medical Services Department of the City of North Canton on Wednesday, July 31, at 6:00 p.m. at the North Canton Civic Center, 845 West Maple Street, North Canton, Ohio.
The starting salary for the position of EMT-P/Firefighter is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour week employee and $20.36 for a 53-hour week employee. As a full time employee, an Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic/Firefighter is eligible to receive the following benefits: life insurance, major medical and hospitalization insurance, prescription drug insurance, dental insurance, optical insurance, uniform allowance, eleven paid holidays, two personal days allowance, sick leave benefits, paid vacation allowance, maternity leave, military leave, education benefits, retirement plan, and malpractice insurance.
The general application requirements are as follows:
1. Citizen of the United States
2. EMT-P certification or show proof of enrollment in an EMT-P class; must have EMT-P certification prior to employment
3. Firefighter Level II certification or show proof of enrollment in a Firefighter II class; must have Firefighter Level II certification prior to employment
4. Of good moral character and excellent physical and mental condition
5. At least eighteen (18) years of age on or before the date of the examination
6. High school graduate or GED
7. Possess a valid continental US driver’s license
8. Applicant shall be required to present Physical Agility Certification and/or Physical Assessment Certification or the equivalent prior to appointment by the appointing authority. Certification shall be current (not more than one year from date of certification) and shall be from an accredited post-secondary institution in the State of Ohio. Agility/assessment certification is the financial responsibility of the applicant.
Applications for the position of EMT-P/Firefighter may be obtained at the Office of the Civil Service Commission, North Canton City Hall, 145 North Main Street. Candidates must file their application and register in person at the Civil Service Commission Office. A $20.00 registration fee shall be paid at the time of registration. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, July 8, 2019 and ends at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, July 16, 2019. Registrations will not be accepted after the July 16, 2019, 4:30 p.m. deadline.
The following documents must be produced at the time of registration:
1. Copy of birth certificate
2. Copy of high school diploma or equivalency certificate
3. Valid continental US driver’s license
4. Copy of EMT-P certification or show proof of enrollment in EMT-P class
5. Copy of Firefighter Level II certification or show proof of enrollment in Firefighter II class
In order to be eligible for extra credit percentage points to your passing grade, the following must also be produced:
1. Proof of active duty; DD214 – military service – additional 5% of passing grade for each year of military service
2. Proof of accredited college attendance; official transcript – additional 5% of passing grade for each completed year of college attendance
Not more than a total of twenty percent (20%) of the passing grade shall be allowed in extra percentage points for 1 and 2 above.
3. Two or more years of continuous service with the North Canton Emergency Services/Fire Department; additional 20% of passing grade
Not more than a total of forty (40%) percent of the passing grade shall be allowed in extra credit percentage points for those with two or more years of continuous service for 1, 2, and 3 above.
Passing grade for the EMT-P/Firefighter examination is seventy (70%) percent.
The administration does reserve the right to include psychological testing as part of the process for filling any vacancies.
Linda Millis, Secretary
North Canton Civil Service Commission
c: Commission Members
Director of Law
Director of Administration